We seek 72 enthusiastic and committed K–12 educators, including media specialists and administrators to be NEH Summer Scholars (workshop participants) in two workshop sessions of 36 participants each. All K-12 educators who are interested in attending Crafting Freedom should read the NEH Eligibility Requirements as well as the other workshop details before applying.
Applying is as easy as 1,2,3. A completed application has three components: The NEH application coversheet, a résumé, and an application essay.
NEH Application Coversheet
- Must be filled out online, printed, and saved electronically.
- You complete the Application Coversheet
- Follow the prompts to provide your contact information, information on your teaching, and the workshop selection with your first and second choices of dates.
- Click “submit” to send your information to the NEH — this is the only piece of the application that the NEH should receive directly. A confirmation page appears after you click submit.
- Please print the entire confirmation and coversheet BEFORE YOU CLOSE YOUR BROWSER.
- Create an electronic copy of your NEH application coversheet by saving the confirmation page as a PDF or HTML document or by scanning your printed page.
- Please include a resumé or brief biography detailing your educational qualifications and professional experience.
- The application essay should be no more than two double-spaced pages in which you describe your professional background; your interest in the subject matter of the workshop; and any special perspectives, skills, or experiences that you bring to the workshop learning community; if you intend to share this knowledge with colleagues when you return to your school, and if you’ve done that in the past and intend to do it with this workshop. Most importantly, we need to know how the workshop would enhance your teaching and your students’ learning.
Submission of Materials
- Please send your NEH coversheet confirmation, resumé, and essay as 3 attachments in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject box, write “Application” and your last name “SMITH” The subject box will look like this: “Application SMITH“
- If for some reason you don’t wish to apply “on – line”, please contact Elsabet at email@example.com.
- DO NOT SEND ITEMS TO THE NEH. Application materials sent to the NEH will NOT be reviewed by NEH.
- You will receive confirmation that we’ve received your Application coverletter, resumé, and essay within one week of your submission.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email, please email Elsabet at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 919-405-2326. If no answer, please leave a voice message with a phone number where you can be reached in the evening and also leave your email address.
- Deadline for receiving Applications is midnight: March 1, 2017
While recent participants in NEH Summer Programs (NEH Landmarks Workshops, NEH Summer Seminars, or NEH Summer Institutes) are eligible to apply, applicants who have not participated in an NEH-supported seminar, institute, or workshop within the last three years will be given first consideration.
Successful applicants will be notified of their selection on March 31, 2017 and will have until April 7, 2017, to accept or decline the offer. Please be sure we have an email address and phone number at which you can be reached during that week.
Once you have accepted an offer to attend any NEH Summer Program, you may not accept an additional offer or withdraw in order to accept a different offer. Once you confirm your participation, you will receive additional information about housing, online readings, and other details pertaining to the workshops. We look forward to receiving your application and, hopefully, to welcoming you to North Carolina in June 2017!